BVSc. AfC, AGRA,SAA
Wildlife,Animals & Seascapes
Qualified as a Veterinary Surgeon, Pete now works on her artwork from her studio in Tropical North Queensland, Australia. Her empathetic works hang in many homes and collections around the world.
She travels with husband Ian to research her material, experiencing it in its wild environment and where appropriate donates rights to conservation issues.
While Pete qualified as a veterinary surgeon, over the last twenty years or so she has developed a passion for art and photography. She now works pursuing her dream becoming a full time artist, who can bring the beauty of wildlife and the fragility of the environment to public view. Finalist selection in the prestigious international American exhibition "Birds in Art" 2008-11,13and15-17 ; finalist selection for the AFC International Exhibition 2011, 13-17, Finalist selection in the Coloured Pencil Society of America on line, 2017, Selection and Honorable Mention in the Jack Richeson Wildlife Exhibition USA 2017, The Best Exhibit Award at Cairns Art Society 2017,The Best Exhibit Awards in 2003 and 2001 at the Wildlife Artists Society of Australasia Exhibition for "Depths of Blue" & "Me and My Shadow " and the selection of "Maternal Chiding - Lion Style " by the International Association of Pastel Societies for their Annual Exhibition 2002 are huge steps towards the realisation of this dream. Pete has also demonstrated her art at Paperworld China in Shanghai, and exhibited at Guangzhou International Art Exhibition in 2006,2007,2008. In 2011 she was invited to a tiger sanctuary in India and on to Nepal, to use her art work to help raise awareness and funds for the Year of the Tiger.
In December 2015, Pete was invited by the Government of Uttar Pradesh to participate in their inaugural Bird Fair at Chambal Safari Lodge in UP. This international event attracted some 200 delegates from around the world as well as many people from India, and was a huge success. Pete was invited as guest artist and to present one of her original paintings to the Chief Minister of the UP Government. Her inspiring painting of Lammergeiers was duly presented at the opening of the event and she also presented a power point and gave art demonstrations.
Following Uttar Pradesh, Pete has now been asked to curate an international wildlife art exhibition to accompany the inaugural, global Earth Wildlife Festival in Delhi India in 2018.
Wildlife is her main subject material, but Pete's artistic skill also encompasses portraits, seascapes landscapes and murals. Her goal is not only to bring out the character of the subject, but to convey light and atmosphere in her work, and to capture the inherent aesthetic beauty which all living things possess - be it raging surf, a caged gorilla or a child at play - and promote that awareness within the viewer.
In recent years she has been fortunate enough to travel to collect material for her work, and has visited such places as the Okavango Delta in Botswana, the Hoedspruit Endangered Wildlife Research Centre in South Africa, Orang Utan rehabilitation centres in Sabah and Sarawak, the avian rehabilitation centre in Costa Rica, the Raptore Centre in the UK, and the countries of Cuba, Uzbekistan, Dubai and Canada where not only the wildlife, but the peole and architecture make fascinating subjects.
Her paintings and commissioned works hang in Municipal, corporate and private collections both in Australia and overseas, and her paintings are presented in galleries and exhibitions around Australia. Publications include Strokes of Genius USA x5; Art Journey Animals USA 2016;Australia Post Stamp Design and Australian Geographic Art Calendar 2016 2017. She has twice been a featured artist in the Australian Artist Magazine, feature artist in Artist Palette magazine, and her works have been used as the cover pieces by the Australian Veterinary Journal.
In 2006 she escorted a group of artist/photograhpers to Namibia, where she held an international art workshop at Africat and Okonjima. Two emerging Namibian artists were selected to join the group, and a great time was had by all.
Pete has spent many years as the Exhibition Director of the Wildlife Art Society of Australasia. Currently she is Senior Art Advisor to the Art Advisory Council, WAMA Foundation for the visionary project to develop the Wildlife Art Museum of Australia.
Support for Conservation:
Pete has donated work and rights to many conservation issues around the world including the Jane Goodall Institute in Entebbe,Polar Bears International, Loro Parque Foundation in Tenerife, Africat, Kanha Tiger Reserve, Dingo Discovery, Help for Wildlife Australia, Australian Wildlife Conservancy and Tasmanian Land Concervancy
She has donated funds to Eyes For Africa - cataract surgery in Ethiopia - to purchase a portable slit lamp, and fund individual operations. EFA have performed over 3000 operations to date.
Currently she is working towards supporting the David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage in Nairobi and Wildlife SOS in India
- 2018 - Strokes of Genius 10
- 2017 - Finalist Selection Artists For Conservation Art Exhibition
- 2017 - Finalist Selection - Birds in Art Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum Wisconsin
- 2017 - Coloured Pencil Society America Annual Exhibition
- 2017 - Society of Animal Artists USA Signatory Membership
- 2017 - Richeson Animal Birds and Wildlife
Highly Commended. Lightplay. Spoonbill.
- 2016 - Strokes of Genius 9
- 2016 - Art Journey Animals: A Collection of Inspiring Contemporary Masterworks USA
- 2015 - Mayoral Award. Cairns Art Society
Best in Show. Transient Light: Sunbird and Swamp Paperbark
- 2015 - Holmes Bird Art Exhibition. Australia
- 2014 - selection inaugural International Pencil Art Exhibition, Canada
- 2012 - The Best of Worldwide Wildlife Artists Book Volume 2
By invitation to exhibit images of works.
- 2012 - The Mortimore Fine Art Awards
- 2011 - Australian Guild of Realist Artists, Signatory Member Status,
- 2011 - Finalist Selection The Waterhouse Natural History Art Award
- 2011 - Finalist Selection The Waterhouse Natural History Art Prize
- 2010 - Finalist Selection - Birds in Art, Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, Wisconsin and following touring exhibition
- 2010 - City of Whittlesea Heritage Art Exhibition Mayoral Award
- 2010 - Best in Show Australian Guild of Realist Artists Winter
- 2009 - Finalist Selection - Birds in Art, Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, Wisconsin
- 2009 - Finalist Selection - Birds in Art Touring Exhibition
Further selsection from the exhibition at the LYWMuseum
- 2008 - Finalist Selection - Birds in Art, Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, Wisconsin
- 2008 - Finalist Selection - Birds in Art Touring Exhibition
- 2007 - Dominique Sagan Drawing Award - finalist
- 2004 - The Waterhouse - finalist
- 2003 - Gold Medal, Wildlife Art Soc Australasia
- 2001 - Best Exhibit, Wildlife Art Soc Australasia
- 2015 - Chief Minister, Government of Uttar Pradesh
- 2010 - Westpac Bank in support of Country Fire Authoriy
- 2008 - Mrs Wong Kei Ying
- 2007 - Mr Li Zhou Qi
Director of Guangdong Folk Arts Museum (Former Director Guangzhou Museum of Art )
- City of Whittlesea Council Mayoral Collection
- Horsham Regional Art Gallery
- Strokes of Genius 10 (2018)
Finalist selection - Fantasia Royale
Author: Rachel Ruben Wolf
- Art Journey Animals: A Collection of Inspiring Contemporary Masterworks USA (2017)
- Strokes of Genius 9 (2017)
Finalist artwork selection. - Transient Light. Sunbird and Swamp Paperbark.
Author: Rachel Rubin Wolf
- Strokes of Genius 9 (2017)
Finalist selection - Transient Light. Sunbird and Swamp Paperbark
Author: Rachel Rubin Wolf
- Inspiration Wild: an Artistic Celebration of Nature and Environment (2014)
More about Inspiration Wild: an Artistic Celebration of Nature and Environment
Coordination of artwork and publication.
Selected artist for artwork and essay - a compilation of a juried selection of artists working in current times in Australia using nature as their source of inspiration
Author: Wildlife Art Museum of Australia
Published by: WAMA Foundation
- Artists Palette (2009)
Feature Demonstration -
- Australian Artist Magazine
- Feature Artist
- Strokes of Genius 6, 8 and 9
More about Strokes of Genius 6, 8 and 9
Selection of image and associated text - Value/lights and darks
Compilation of artworks
Author: Rachel Rubin Wolf
Published by: Northlight Books
- 2016 - Society of Animal Artists USA
- 2015 - Australian Coloured Pencil Society
- Australian Guild of Realist Artists
- Pastel Society Victoria, Australia
- Wildlife and Botanical Artists Society, Canberra, Australia