The AFC Flag Expeditions Program was created to make possible the field study and artistic rendering of endangered species or habitats deserving of greater public attention. There is a strong emphasis on the study of unique, threatened habitats, and rare or endangered species in remote parts of the world.
Upon return from the expedition, participating artists are required to submit to the Foundation, a written journal and sketchbook of their journey, photos with the AFC flag in situ, a signed flag and video footage when possible.
The AFC provides funding, as well as prominent exposure in a growing number of venues including on the AFC Web site, for each artist and each expedition. Each year at least two Fellowships are offered- each worth up to $5,000 US.
The Program is open only to AFC Signature Members, who can apply to obtain financial support and the privilege of carrying the AFC flag on their journey. To find how to become a Signature member, please review our Join Us section.We have supported the following expeditions to-date:
Download our 2011 Program Application Guidelines.
- AFC Flag Expedition #11 - "How an Artist Saved the Mountain Gorilla: Retracing the Footsteps of Carl Akeley"; Fellowship Recipient: Stephen C. Quinn (USA); Location: Democratic Republic of Congo, Rwanda
- AFC Flag Expedition #10 - "GALAPAGOS - Forty Days and Forty Nights- An Artists Sojourn"; Fellowship Recipient: Kelly Dodge (Canada); Location: Galapagos
- AFC Flag Expedition #9 - "The Argali Mountain Sheep of Mongolia: An Artistís Study of the Animal and the Desert-Steppe"; Fellowship Recipient: Susan Fox (USA); Location: Ikh Nartiin Chuluu Nature Reserve, Mongolia
- AFC Flag Expedition #8 - "Not the way of the Dodo - Endangered Species of Mauritius"; Fellowship Recipient: Ria Winters (Netherlands); Location: Mauritius
- AFC Flag Expedition #7 - "The Freshwater Seals of Lake Baikal"; Fellowship Recipient: Terry Woodall (USA); Location: Irkutsk, Russia
- AFC Flag Expedition #6 - "Cross River Gorillas - The Most Endangered Primate"; Fellowship Recipient: Daniel Taylor (Canada); Location: Cameroun
- AFC Flag Expedition #5 - "Painting the Painted Dogs - Artistic Study of an Endangered Hunter"; Fellowship Recipient: Alison Nicholls (USA); Location: Hwange National Park, Tanzania.
- AFC Flag Expedition #4 - "The Flora & Fauna of Bhutan - An Artist's Journey through the Land of the Thunderdragon"; Fellowship Recipient: Pollyanna Pickering (UK); Location: Bhutan
- AFC Flag Expedition #3 - "The George River Boreal Forest Expedition"; Fellowship Recipient: Robert Mullen (USA); Location: Nunavik, Canada
- AFC Flag Expedition #2 - "The Sacred Source - A Portrait of the Ganges"; Fellowship Recipient: David Rankin (USA).
- AFC Flag Expedition #1 - "Observing & Portraying the Endangered Harpy Eagle & its Habitat"; Fellowship Recipient: David Kitler (Canada)
Visit our special Flag Expeditions program site at www.natureartists.com/flagexpeditions, documenting past expeditions and highlighting new ones yet to be run.
Upcoming deadlines for applying to the program are:
- June 21, 2011
- December 21, 2011
Please download our 2011 Program Application Guidelines document, in PDF format. To view the document you will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader, which you can download for free at http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html.
If you have any difficulty downloading the guidelines document or have any questions about the program, please contact the Program Officer, Yasaman Whiting at firstname.lastname@example.org.