Cindy Deborah Sorley-Keichinger
wildlife in natural habitats
I come from a family with strong artistic ability, but I'm the only one who has taken it out of the hobby realm. As a teenager, and with my Father's input, I worked on drawings at home. These efforts I entered in junior competitions and often won a placement. While at university, I tried my hand at murals, and learned how to scale things up and down in size. I really did not view myself as a painter because I did not think I knew how to use colour. I was frustrated that my pictures would not match what was in my head; so I did not pursue art as a career choice.
After my marriage, my husband encouraged me to take a painting class being offered. I was interested this time because I had since seen work by Robert Bateman. His style was along the lines of what I had always seen in my head, and admired. After being told to mute my colours; what I came up with surprised both my husband and myself, and I have continued, with my husband's support, ever since. Though I trained as a Medical laboratory technician, and had not been formally trained in art, I have since trained with the masters; John Seerey-Lester, Carl Brenders, Allan Hunt, Robert Bateman, Terry Isaac, and Daniel Smith. All of whom are great painters and great teachers.
I am often called on to teach workshops, and art project classes. My work has been in shows in New York, Ottawa, Lloydminster, Edmonton, Calgary and Vancouver; as well as being in a yearlong Cross Canada show with Canadian Wildlife Habitat; and I was also the artist in residence in February 1999 for the Barr Colony Cultural Heritage Center and "Education through Art Society". I am a Founding member and Past President of the artist group "Midwest Canadian Artists", and Chairperson for the Juried Fine Art show for the "Arts Without Borders" Art Festival in Lloydminster AB/SK, of which I am also a founding member. My work is in collections across Canada, and overseas.
I have now been painting seriously for about 20 some years; fitting it around my four Kids, and our farm. I like to work in oil, acrylic and gouache, which have the strong colors I prefer to use.
International Society of Acrylic Painters - Annual Online Exhibition - 2017, 2016, 2015
WAOW Inc. National Exhibition - 2015
National Oil & Acrylic Painters Society (NOAPS) Best of America Show 2016, 2014, 2013
National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society (NOAPS) 2015, 2014 Spring Online Exhibition
Masterpieces in Miniature - Sherwood Park, AB. -2017, 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011
The Fall National Oil & Acrylic Society Fall Online Show - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Picture This Gallery's Great Fall Show - 2013
National Oil And Acrylic Painter's Society "Best of America" Exhibit - Bolivar MO - 2013
National Oil & Acrylic Painter's Society (NOAPS) online Exhibition - 2013
American Artists Professional League Summer Online Landscape Exhibition - 2013
American Artists Professional League Grand National Exhibition - New York - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Catharine Lorillard Wolfe 117th Annual Open Exhibition - New York - 2013
Arabella Magazine - Canadian Landscape Exhibition - 2013
Federation of Canadian Artists - Small, Smaller, Smallest - Vancouver BC. - 2011
Artists For Conservation Virtual Show - Grouse Mountain - 2016, 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2011
The American Artists Professional League 83rd Grand National Exhibition - New York - 2011
Spring Fling - MWCA Lloydminster, AB 2011, 2012
The American Artists Professional League 82nd Grand National Exhibition - New York - 2010
VAAA Annual Juried Membership Exhibition - Edmonton AB. - 2010
19th Annual Juried Breckenridge Fine Arts Center Show 2010
Arts Without Borders Juried Fine Art Show (Lloydminster AB/SK)2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Calgary Stampede Western Showcase (2006, 2005, 2004)
Federation of Canadian Artists (Vancouver, BC) Water media Show (2001)
Federation of Canadian Artists Show (Now "Society of Western Canadian Artists" of Edmonton)
Hudson Valley New York Wildlife Art Show (1998)
Salmagundi Club New York International Show (1997, 1998)
Canadian Wildlife Habitat Art Show (1993 through to 2000)
Canadian Wildlife Habitat Cross Country Show (1993)
ACACA Art Show (1992, 1993, 1994)
Support for Conservation:
Have been an avid supporter of The World Wildlife fund, Canadian Wildlife Habitat, Canadian Wildlife Federation, Nature Canada, and the Local Ducks Unlimited. This support has been through donations and donations of art and prints.
I have also been part of a study that was monitoring the Effect of Argentina's use of DDT and other pesticides on the Local Population of Swainson's Hawks and Red Tail Hawks. Both are common around my area.
- 2017 - International Society of Acrylic Painters - 5th Place International Open Online Show Award
- 2016 - Made a signature member of NOAPS
- 2015 - Designed Coin for the Royal Canadian Mint
- 2015 - International Society of Acrylic Painters - Holbein Art Material Award
- 2014 - Arts Without Borders - People's Choice Award
- 2014 - NOAPS - Best of America Show Award of Merit
- 2014 - NOAPS - International Fall Online Exhibition Award of Excellence
- 2014 - Made a Fellow of the America Artists Professional League
- 2013 - Semi-finalist in the Arabella Great Canadian Landscape Competition
Juried Show to find the best depiction of the Canadian Landscapes
- 2013 - American Artists Professional League - First Place Landscape Summer Show
Juried Online Landscape show
- 2013 - International Artist Magazine Article
International Artist Magazine article about my methods of painting. They used my painting of Hogsback Falls for the article.
- 2013 - Southwest Art Magazine Artistic Excellence Competition Runner Up
- 2013 - Was made a Fellow of the American Artists Professional League
- 2012 - 1st for Arts Without Borders Animal/Wildlife
- 2011 - Arts Without Borders Juried Show 1st Animal/wildlife
For "Redpoll and Butternut"
- 2010 - Arts Without Borders Juried Art Show 3rd place Animal/Wildlife
For "What! Are You Kitting Me?"
- 2010 - Arts Without Borders Juried Show 2nd Place Animal/Wildlife
For painting "Contemplation of Love"
- 2010 - Arts Without Borders Best in Show
for painting "Fall Hawthorn"
- 2009 - Canadian Brushstrokes Online Art Magazine Landscape Competition Finalist
for the painting "Spring is here...Maybe?"
- 2008 - Arts Without Borders Juried Art Show 2nd Place Still life
for painting "Apples & Sauce"
- 2008 - Arts Without Borders Juried Art Show Honourable Mention Wildlife
for painting "Bird's Eye View"
- 2007 - Arts Without Borders Juried Art Show 1st Place Still life
For painting "Strawberries & Cream"
- 2001 - Rose Zivot SFCA Award
Water Media FCC Show (Vancouver) for painting "Contemplation"
- 1993 - People's choice Award
For painting "An English Cousin" in the Vermilion AB Art Show
- 1992 - ACACA Award of Merit
For the painting "First Arrival"
- Creating Depth Demonstration Article (2013)
More about Creating Depth Demonstration Article
providing the photos and information for the article - Write up about myself and the methods I use in painting
Published by: International Artists Magazine
- 2016 - Society of Animal Artists (associate)
International organization for the promotion of animal art
- 2012 - American Women Artists (associate member)
promoting women artists of North America
- 2011 - Women Artists of the West (Associate Member)
Promoting the art work of women artists of the west.
- 2010 - American Artists Professional League (Fellow)
Part of the Salmugundi Club in New York, whose mission is to advance the cause of Fine Arts in America, through the promotion of high standards of beauty, integrity and craftmanship in painting, sculpture and the graphic arts.
- 2010 - Saskatchewan Wildlife Art Association Inc.
Promoting Wildlife Art in Saskatchewan
- 2010 - International Society of Acrylic Painters
- 2010 - International Guild of Realism
A group that Strives to educate the art world concerning the latest developments in realism.
- 2010 - National Oil & Acrylic Painters Society (siganture member)
- 2009 - Visual Artists of Alberta Association
Supports and promotes Alberta Artists
- 2009 - Artists for Conservation
Artists who use their art to help support nature and it's habitats
- 2002 - Midwest Canadian Artists
Artists from the Midcentral region of Alberta/Saskatchewan (with Lloydmisnter as the hub) The Artists work in all genre, including photography and 3 dimensional work
- 1998 - Federation of Canadain Artists
Group promotes Canadain artists through the Federation Gallery Shows with chapters in the various provinces