Born in Chicago, but growing up in Flint, Michigan, Anni Crouter started painting and drawing before she could read or write. Soon after relocating to Michigan in 1965, this natural ability cought notice by her mother and both of her grandmothers, who encouraged her to express herself. The life on a farm in rural Michigan with a father who was a veterinarian lent itself to many aspiring subjects to paint and draw, such as horses, barn cats, dogs, birds, and other wild and domesticated animals. Many of these subjects still remain her favorites to paint.
Following school, she attended Mott Community College (Flint, MI) majoring in business with a minor in art. Her artwork mainly focused on oil, and sometimes, acrylic mediums. Her big breakthrough came with the introduction into the world of watercolors. She credits her longtime mentor, Jim Ames, AWS. Under his guidance her knowledge in art theory and artistic abilities has continually progressed, and now her work can be seen in national and international trade journals, art galleries, businesses in several states, and in the homes of private collectors.
Anni married Dr. Nathan Boggs, DVM in 2001. They currently reside in Flint, MI, where she shares space at her husbands practice. He fixes them on the ground floor and she paints them in the studio above. It seems that when you love your subjects so much, you make sure that you are around them as much as possible.
Support for Conservation:
Continuing support of the Humane Society of Genesee County and local care groups for the care of domestic animals through art auctions, donations, and volunteering. Conservation efforts through Wings of Wonder in Empire Michigan
- Artists Magazine Competition
2008 Finalist--Wee Little One, Gypsy Profile, Waiting for His Cowboy
2010 Finalist--Hang Time, Solitaire
2011 Finalist--Sleeping Beauty, By a Nose
2015 Finalist--Mr. Big, Waiting on Alice
- Leigh Yawkey Woodson Art Museum, Birds in Art Exhibition and Tour
- Society of Animal Artist, Small Works Big Impressions
- Mississippi Watercolor Animal Exhibition
2000, 2011, 2013, 2015
2011-Blyth's Hornbill-Bancorp Choice Award
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medicine Association (JAVMA)
May 15th, 2007-Featured Cover Artist
January 15th, 2011-Featured Cover Artist
- American Academy of Equine Art annual exhibition
- American Watercolor Society Annual Exhibition
2008, 2013, 2014 (Signature Member Status)
- Society of Animal Artists Annual Exhibition and Tour
2013-"Leap of Faith"
2014-"Spooked" (President's Award)
- Art Renewal Center (ARC)
2014/15 Honorable Mention Animal Category, "Spooked"
2017/18 Honorable Mention Animal Category, "Neck and Neck"
- Fuller Lodge Center (Beauty in the Beast)
- Mountain Oyster Club Annual Art Auction
- National Society of Painters in Casein and Acrylic
2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
"Lesser Flamingo"--Katherine Steele Renninger Memorial Award
- Art of the Animal Kingdom-Bennington Vermont
2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Annual International Exhibition on Animals in Art-LSU
2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
2010-Honorable Mention "Bathing Cutie"
2011-People's Choice Award "Stargazer"
2013-People's Choice Award "Preen"
- NWWS Annual Exhibition-Seattle WA
2012, 2013 (Signature Member Status), 2015, 2017
2013 Past Presidents award "Spooked"
2015 Tulalip Casino and Resort NW award, "Tusk"
- Shiawasee Art Center Annual Exhibition
2012 People's Choice Award
- Small Works Show-Bennington Vermont
2007, 2011, 2013. 2015, 2016
- Artists for Conservation--Annual Exhibition
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
2010 Medal of Excellence "Solitaire"
2016 Annual Exhibition Book Cover Artist "Spooked"
- Midland Center for the Arts
- Americas Parks Through the Beauty of Art
2013, 2014, 2015
- Artists Magazine (2011)
- Artists Magazine (2010)
- Artists Magazine (2008)
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association (2007)
- Cover Page featured Artist
- International Artist (2005)
- Watercolor Magazine
Featured Cover Artist - Article: Animal Magnetism